Mushrooms - The Friendly Fungus!!
Mar 28, 2012
Who knew? Mushrooms are ridiculously low in calories and high in fiber but their true claim to fame is that they and are simply packed with superbly healthy hard-to-find minerals such as:
- Magnesium—mushrooms are a great source of magnesium, a mineral essential to good health, muscle and nerve function as well as maintaining a normal blood pressure.
- Potassium—this important mineral helps to control blood pressure. Mushrooms contain more potassium than most other fruit and vegetables: one medium Portabello mushroom contains more potassium than a banana!
- Calcium—this mineral is the most abundant in the body and is important for bones as well as powering muscle contraction.
- Iron—this mineral is essential to life and many of the metabolic processes that occur in our bodies. Iron is especially important for oxygen transport.
- Zinc—mushrooms are a good source of zinc, the mineral that supports a healthy immune system
- Selenium—mushrooms are high in selenium, the antioxidant mineral that protects our cells against free radical damage.