Healthier Apple Crisp Recipe
Oct 16, 2020
HEALTHIER APPLE CRISP
- For the topping:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or regular flour or gluten free oat flour or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, gluten free if desired
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar (can also sub coconut sugar but brown sugar is best)
- 1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter or vegan buttery stick, cut into very small cubes (can also use coconut oil)
- For the crisp:
- 5-6 medium Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (or pure vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8x8 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in a large bowl until well-combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles wet sand. (Alternatively, you can cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or place all of the topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse until just blended. My favorite method is to use my hands, as I believe you get the best crumbly topping that way.)
- Once finished, place topping in the fridge and begin making the apple filling.
- To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and bourbon (or vanilla) in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake the crisp on a baking sheet (just in case the filling bubbles over!) for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with your favorite vanilla ice cream. Makes 9 servings.
TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: in the topping, use certified gluten free oats and almond flour or an all purpose gluten free flour or gluten free oat flour.
TO MAKE VEGAN: sub a buttery vegan stick for the butter or use coconut oil.
Servings: 9 servings
Serving size: 1 serving