20 Shocking Facts About Your Body
Mar 30, 2012
Fun Fitness Facts
1. You would need to drink a quart of milk every day for three to four months to drink as much blood as your heart pumps in one hour.
2. Your heart is about the size of your fist and weighs about as much as a softball.
3. In the course of a lifetime, the resting heart will have pumped enough blood to fill 13 supertankers.
4. The pink under your fingernails is the blood in your capillaries.
5. Your heart is the strongest muscle of your body and beats about 100,000 times in one day, in an average adult.
6. We need light in order to see. Animals that live in deep caves or in the great depths of the ocean where there is no light are often blind or have no eyes at all.
7. A person breathes 7 quarts of air every minute.
8. Almost half the human body's weight is made from one of three types of muscle tissue.
9. The human nervous system can relay messages to the brain at speeds of up to 200 miles per hour. Your brain receives 100 million nerve messages each second from your senses.
10. In one day, some 4000 children and teenagers take up smoking.
11. Underwater swimming is the only time you should hold your breathe while exercising.
12. Your brain weight about 3 pounds, is a pinkish gray color and is about the size of a cauliflower.
13. Your tongue is the only muscle in your body that is attached at only one end.
14. The three bones of the middle ear are so small all three could easily fit on your thumbnail.
15. If all 600 muscles in your body pulled in one direction, you could lift 25 tons.
16. If the 300,000,000 tiny air sacs (alveoli) in your lungs could be laid out flat, they would cover a home swimming pool.
17. Tongue prints are as unique as fingerprints.
18. If you weight 100 pounds on earth, you will weigh about 264 pounds on Jupiter.
19. There are 206 bones in the human body. One fourth of them are in your feet.
20. The human body has 45 miles of nerves.