Chicken and White Bean Chili
Oct 12, 2012
The winter is coming! Once a week I will be posting a healthy, seasonal recipe that will keep you warm for the upcoming months. First up, we have a chicken and white bean chili. High in protein and high in antioxidants such as cumin.
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breasts (3 lb.)
- teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (4 oz.) cans roasted green chilies, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Place beans and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 2 hours.
- Warm oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet; cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add onion mixture, chilies, 1 cup water and cumin to slow cooker. Stir; add chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beans plus 1/2 cup liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender; return to slow cooker. Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker. Spoon into individual bowls and serve.
Give this recipe a try and add it to your winter cooking arsenal!