Tropical Beach Granola
Apr 7, 2014
Makes about 5 cups
What You’ll Need:
2 1/4 cups rolled oats (use gluten-free if necessary)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup roughly chopped or slivered unsalted almonds
2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
1 cup mixed dried fruit — pineapple, mango, apricots, guava, and cranberries
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine the oats with almonds, orange zest, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and whisk the honey, almond milk, and coconut oil until smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Pour wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to coat.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment and spread the oat mixture evenly over the top. Spread the oat mixture as thinly as possible (no thicker than about 1/4 of an inch)
- Bake for 30 mins, or until nice and toasty.
- Remove the pan from the oven and break up some of the chunks. (Leave a few big clusters — they’re the best bits!)
- Turn the heat in the oven up to 325 degrees. While you’re waiting for the temperature to increase, add the flaked coconut to the pan.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool. It will be soft at this point but will become crunchy as its temperature falls.
- Mix in the dried fruit and store in a sealed container.