Simple Ways to Get On Track with Heart Healthy Eating!
Now that you’ve learned all the tricks for heart healthy eating, follow these simple tips to get more heart healthy foods in your diet!
- Don’t forget the value of Oatmeal! Cook ½ cup dry Old Fashioned Oatmeal in 1 cup skim milk. Top with 1 tbsp toasted walnuts, ¼ cup chopped apple, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Add vegetables like spinach, broccoli, peppers and onions to your morning omelet! Serve with 1-2 slices 100% whole grain toast with a pat of heart healthy spread. (Note: Eggs have finally lost their bad reputation! Feel free to throw the yolks in your omelet to get all of the beneficial vitamins! For weight, limit it to 1 yolk per omelet + egg whites!)
- Make your own salad dressing! Combine 1 tbsp heart healthy oil with 2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (your choice)- add ½ tsp honey, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, and ½ tsp cracked black pepper. Whisk together and serve over a vegetable salad.
- Add unsaturated fat and whole grains to your salad! Add chickpeas, soybeans, cubed tofu, toasted nuts or seeds, or cooked grains (ex. quinoa) for a heart healthy punch.
- Add 1/3 of a small avocado, sliced, onto a sandwich made from 100% whole wheat bread, low sodium turkey breast, lettuce and tomato.
- Sauté vegetables in 1 tsp olive oil or canola oil with fresh herbs and toasted garlic.
- Use high fiber whole grains or complex carbohydrates at dinner! Prepare brown rice, quinoa or baked sweet potatoes to serve alongside vegetables and a protein!
- Choose fish more frequently! My favorite simple preparation? Season a fillet of wild caught Salmon with lemon zest and juice, a rub of olive oil, a pinch of sea salt, pepper and rosemary. Bake on a cookie sheet for ~15 minutes at 350º (baking time for a 4oz, 1” thick fillet).
- Trim the visible excess fat and skin off your meat or poultry before or after cooking.
- Make your own burgers out of extra lean ground beef or poultry- combine 1 lb ground meat with ¼ cup onions (cooked), 1 tsp black pepper, ½ tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce. Form into 4 patties, grill and enjoy on a 100% whole wheat bun!
As a Snack:
- Munch on 1/3 cup nuts or 2tbsp nut butter; pair your nuts with a piece of fruit or spread the nut butter on celery sticks to add heart healthy fiber!
- Cut up a variety of raw vegetables and 1 small 100% whole wheat pita to dip in 1/3 cup hummus (packed with fiber and a touch of protein)!
- Mix ¼ diced avocado and ¼ cup black beans into ½ cup of your favorite tomato salsa! Serve with 10 baked blue corn tortilla chips or pepper squares!
Created by: Alicia Romano MS RD LDN | In a Pinch Nutrition Consulting
Contact Alicia today: Alicia.email@example.com
Interested in learning more? Check Alicia out online:
Blog: http://aliciainapinch.blogspot.com Twitter: @RDAlicia