1. Above all else, please don't smell bad. Shower regularly. Use deodorant. Do weights first, then cardio, then LEAVE and head straight for the shower.
2. To the above point, change your workout clothes regularly. People notice when you wear the same shirt to the gym every day, and it makes them dislike you.
3. Clean up after yourself. The towels and sprayers are there for a reason.
4. Share. If someone asks to work on a piece of weightlifting equipment then let them. On that note, don't hog aerobic equipment either.
5. A little grunting is OK, but it shouldn't sound like a Lamaze class.
6. Return it from where you got it.
7. Spot those who ask, and consider asking a certified trainer about proper spotting technique if you are unsure of what to do.
8. Be good to the equipment. Don't drop weights or let plates slam down. It's annoying and you might break it.
9. Don't give unsolicited advice. Just mind your own business and let the dumb ass hurt himself.
10. Check your ego at the door. Don't strut around like you've got an impacted colon, and don't try to lift more than you can handle.
11. Don't bring your cell phone unless you're expecting a call from someone who is very pregnant.
12. Don't be too chatty. A little conversation is OK, but remember that we're all there to exercise rather than socialize. Also, don't initiate conversation with people wearing headphones. They don't want to talk to you.
13. If you're male, don't ogle the females. They don't like that and you don't want to get a reputation as Creepy Staring Guy. If you must, take a quick glance using the mirrors then get back to work. Drooling is bad too.
14. If you're female, feel free to check us guys out. We do like that. As least I like it. Hey! Look at my biceps.
15. Dress appropriately. Just because you've got it doesn't mean you should flaunt it.
I like the gym. I love it. It's my home away from home. I think the real secret to getting and staying in good shape is simply to love the exercise you engage in, and if you're fellow gym patrons are courteous then it makes loving the place a lot easier.