Cauliflower Mac and Cheese Casserole
- 8 oz brown rice penne pasta
- 1/2 large head cauliflower (1.5 lbs), riced in a food processor or minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
- 2 cups milk (I tried with 1% cow's and plain soy milk => both delish)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz) marble cheese, shredded & divided
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered in an airtight container
for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and transfer to a large mixing bowl. If using any other pasta, follow package instructions and under cook by 4 minutes. Also add cauliflower to the bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on low heat and add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for another minute or until flour is well combined. Whisk in milk, raising heat to medium - high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low - medium and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add 1 cup of cheese, salt and black pepper, and stir until the sauce is smooth. Pour into the bowl with pasta and cauliflower, mix well. The mixture should be thick and not saucy.
- Transfer mixture to previously prepared baking dish, level with spatula and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden crust and edges appear. Cut into 9 slices and serve hot.
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Amount Per Serving = 1 slice:
Total Fat: 9.7 g
Cholesterol: 16.8 mg
Sodium: 364.7 mg
Total Carbs: 27.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 10.9 g