Bodyweight workouts are great, since many can be done on the go, whether at home or at the gym. Bodyweight workouts work your overall body, using your bodyweight to build strength, endurance, flexibility, and a host of other great things. Keep reading for seven simple bodyweight exercises that are perfect for the gym.
1. Plank. The plank pose works well anywhere, but you can definitely use it in a gym setting without feeling odd. Lay on the floor and push your body up until it is supported by your forearms and toes. Tighten your core and hold for 30-60 seconds. The plank is great for tightening your abs, and it’s easy to add into a workout. Include it in your interval training, or between reps of weight lifting.
2. Mountain climbers. Mountain climbers are hard work, but have good results. Position yourself on your hands and knees. Bring one knee up under your chin, and straighten the other. Tighten your core and jump to switch legs. These are great for working out in a gym. Warm up with a few minutes on the treadmill, and then dive right into some bodyweight exercises.
3. Burpees. Burpees are another tough one, but will yield great results. Squat low to the floor, kick back into a pushup position, complete a pushup, hop your feet back up to your hands and jump into the air. Repeat. It’s hard work, but such a great workout. Just like mountain climbers, incorporate it into your regular gym routine.
4. Stair climbing with weights. Use the staircase at your gym and do some bicep curls with free weights while climbing. It’s great exercise, and a good way to make use of free weights while working your whole body. If your gym Johns Creek doesn’t have a staircase, hop on one of those stair machines. You may not be able to use weights with the machine, but you can still benefit from climbing.
5. Squats. Squats, like mountain climbers and burpees, can be completed in one space, and are an excellent bodyweight workout. Begin standing, and crouch until your thighs are parallel to the floor, without raising your heels. Repeat for desired number of reps.
6. Pushups. Pushups are painful, but a great way to increase arm strength. Try a diamond pushup for increasing your tricep strength. Use a pushup position, but make a diamond with your hands. Complete pushups.
7. Lunges. Use the circuit at your gym to complete lunges. Stand with hands on hips, and lunge forward with your leg. Bring other leg to match and lunge forward with that leg. Repeat your way around the circuit as many times as desired.
Bodyweight exercises are great for burning calories and getting fit at the gym. They are sure to increase strength and endurance, as well as flexibility. There are a number of great bodyweight exercises, and these are just a sampling of ones that can be easily added into your gym workout routine.
Fitness Advice Expert Johns Creek
Fitness Together Johns Creek
11877 Douglas Rd, Ste 109
Johns Creek, GA 30005