Avoiding starches and grains in today's diet is quite hard. It seems that every decent tasting food contains one of them. Many people have some form of an allergen when it comes to starches. It doesn't necessarily have to be a major food allergy, but it can sometimes show in the form of inflammation or bloat. So what can we do to avoid wreaking havoc on our health and physique without totally eliminating foods such as bread?
Cook with almond or coconut flour! These forms of flour are gluten free, low carb, high fiber, and low on the glycemic index. You also reap the benefits of the "healthy" fats they contain.
Here is a quick recipe from one of my favorite authors, Chris Shugart, for almond bread:
2.5 cups of blanched almond flour (blanched means that the skins have been removed)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pink sea salt
3 omega-3 enriched whole eggs
1 tablespoon Splenda or Truvia
1/3 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
2. Add eggs, Splenda, and vinegar.
3. Use a hand mixer and mix until smooth.
4. Pour into a standard loaf pan (about 8 x 3 x 2, but anything works).
5. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.
Give the recipe a try and enjoy "healthier" bread!!!