Our Studio Location

PERSONAL TRAINING STUDIO

Fitness TogetherBoston South End
321 Columbus Ave
Suite 2F
Boston, MA   02116
p. (617) 262-0021
Fitness Together$99 to $199
View Map

HOURS OF OPERATION

Monday - Friday 6am-9pm
Saturday 815am-3pm
Sunday - Closed

« Back

Blog

Exercise Frequency

Exercise Frequency

 

It may seem like common sense, but training more burns more calories and achieves goals faster. If you have been considering increasing your frequency there is no time like the present. Below is a TDEE calculator that I use personally and I recommend to anyone who is serious about taking control of their diets. TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure and is a measure of calories burned from 3 categories: Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), physical activity, and the thermogenic effect of food. All of these categories can be enhanced to burn more calories. BMR is simply related to lean body mass and can be raised by having more muscle tissue. The thermogenic effect of food can be enhanced by eating foods which require more energy to digest such as lean proteins and complex carbohydrates. The third aspect, phyiscal activity is the most easily enhanced. All you need to do is exercise more. I cannot tell you how important this is to achieving your results. Let's say you work out 2x/ week and you devote an hours time for simple math. That is 4% of one day spent burning calories at a high rate. Lets look at a whole week now. 2 hours divided by 168 hours in a 7 day week gives you 1.1% of your time spent exercising. This small percentage will not undo the other 98.9% of the week if you over consume calories. Granted a lot of your time is spent working and sleeping. Now lets say you increase the exercise frequency to 3 or 4x per week resulting in 1.7 and 2.4% respectively. This is much better but there is still room to improve. If you were to ask an incredibly fit personal trainer how much time they spend working out you will get about 5% of their time is spend exercising. The average weeks worth of work and average weeks worth of sleep will account for about 70% of your time. If you have a serious goal and want to tackle it head on then you need to up the ante. Don't use time as an excuse not to work out.