Do's And Don'ts For New Year Fitness
Feb 1, 2014
- Doctors know best. Check with your doctor first to make sure you're ready for an exercise program.
- Follow the golden rule. Start slow, and build on to it.
- Rest in between days to allow your body to recover.
- Wear the right gear.
- Speak up. If you don't know how to use a machine, ask a professional how to do so. It's better to ask and avoid injury.
- Never ever wear one of those plastic suits.They can cause overheating and dehydration and just aren't necessary.
- Don't ignore pain. Feeling soreness or pain after working out is normal. Feeling pain during is not.
- Treat your body right. You treat your car right (hopefully). So treat your body right and give it the food, water (lots of water), and rest it needs.
- Warm-up first, then stretch. Be sure to break a sweat before stretching. Stretching cold muscles can actually be harmful.
- Warm-down. End all workouts with a cool down of light cardio and stretching to stay flexible and to keep the blood from pooling in the muscles, which can increase soreness.
- Mix it up. Doing the same routine can lead to boredom and injuries.
- Find a buddy for motivation and support
- Make it fun. Try to do fitness activities that you enjoy. Getting in shape can be accomplished by all sorts of activities like dancing, swimming, hiking, etc.