Studies show that healthy habits are strongly influenced by the people we spend time with, for better or for worse. Don't let your co-workers' negative health habits bring you down. Instead, be a positive role model for an active, healthy lifestyle and help build a corporate culture of health from the ground up. Take the initiative to be active at work and encourage others to join in by following these tips.
- Invite a co-worker to join you for a quick walk instead of a coffee or smoke break. You'll have a chance to catch up on work or personal matters, and return to your work stations energized and focusing on the tasks at hand. Even a 15-minute walk can do wonders for your mood and creativity.
- If you have a standing 1:1 meeting, suggest making it a walking meeting and reap the benefits of physical activity while getting the job done.
- Take the stairs whenever possible and others will likely follow your example.
- Take it one step further and organize a workplace walking group. Meet before or after work, during breaks or at lunch time for fun, fitness, and camaraderie.
- Bring your lunches to a nearby park or other outdoor area. After eating, enjoy a walk together.
- Visit a local bookstore, art gallery, or museum during your lunch break.