Active Ways To Be Social At Work
Apr 18, 2012
Studies show that healthy habits are strongly influenced by the people we spend time with, for better or for worse. Don't let your co-workers' negative health habits bring you down. Instead, be a positive role model for an active, healthy lifestyle and help build a corporate culture of health from the ground up. Take the initiative to be active at work and encourage others to join in by following these tips.
- Invite a co-worker to join you for a quick walk instead of a coffee or smoke break. You'll have a chance to catch up on work or personal matters, and return to your work stations energized and focusing on the tasks at hand. Even a 15-minute walk can do wonders for your mood and creativity.
- If you have a standing 1:1 meeting, suggest making it a walking meeting and reap the benefits of physical activity while getting the job done.
- Take the stairs whenever possible and others will likely follow your example.
- Take it one step further and organize a workplace walking group. Meet before or after work, during breaks or at lunch time for fun, fitness, and camaraderie.
- Bring your lunches to a nearby park or other outdoor area. After eating, enjoy a walk together.
- Visit a local bookstore, art gallery, or museum during your lunch break.