The best way to prepare for those New Year’s resolutions and make them stick is to start before the New Year! We are going to keep it short, simple and to the point. Here are 6 tips to make good resolutions and make them last!
- First thing’s first, pick something you WANT to achieve. The goal/goals you want to achieve should make you excited, not the other way around. You want to be motivated to reach these goals.
- Next, lets look at the goal itself. If this resolution that you have in mind is something you have chosen the past 5 years and it hasn’t stuck, its time to choose a new one! And this time make it a SMART goal. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely. Yes, I know, we’ve all heard it a million times, but this is a part that we are here to help you with! The more specific we are about setting goals, the more likely we are to reach them! Saying “I want to do more cardio” is not specific. Saying, “I want to walk/run/bike for 30-40 minutes 4 days per week” is a much better way to set a goal.
- Pick only one or two goals. Too many goals might cause them to be too vague and overwhelming, and next thing you know it’s February and you went from 5 to zero.
- Accept that it is going to be hard. Expecting this to be easy is a great way to fail. As Teddy Roosevelt once said, “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty…” Which leads me to the next tip...
- Stay away from the “All or Nothing” attitude. A slip up may happen, and when it does, that doesn’t mean it’s time to throw it all out the window. Accept the mess up and move on from it, better yet, let it fuel you. Say you may have consumed way more calories than you have set yourself up for. Turn it around by adding in that extra workout and bringing that extra intensity! Then, get some good rest and get back into the groove the next day.
- Lastly, give yourself encouragement and reminders, and set yourself up for success. If you have a goal somewhere along the lines of eating healthier, start by going through the kitchen and getting rid of anything that is going to wear you down until you crack and binge. And little post-it notes here and there go a long way! Put one on the bedside table or bathroom mirror. It may seem silly, but it is a great way to help keep a positive attitude and keep yourself on track!
Now let’s go out and show 2019 what we’ve got by getting started in 2018!