Healthy Habits for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Oct 8, 2012
Experts throughout the fitness community have long encouraged everyone to exercise more in order to live a healthy and fit lifestyle. Recently the medical community has further supported the importance of encouraging adults to be more physically active, especially for individuals who have or are at high risk for life-threatening diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.
In honor and recognition of October being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it's important to revisit the importance of being active and eating healthy in order to reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, increase fitness levels, and promote healthy living and longevity.
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), more than 572,000 Americans die every year, with 1/3 of the deaths linked to poor diet, physical inactivity and being overweight! The most important things you can do to help reduce cancer risk for you and your family include:
- Establishing and maintaining a healthy weight
- Incorporating regular, consistent physical activity into your daily life
- Making healthy food choices with a focus on fresh, natural foods
The latest recommendations from the ACS in regard to healthy physical activity levels for adults include 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous activities each week. Moderate activity would be equivalent to prolonged brisk walking, biking and hiking, while vigorous actvities include sweat-inducing, muscle pumping workouts like FT's PACK Small Group Personal Training sessions.
In addition to adding regular workout sessions into your daily schedule that motivate, encourage and support living a healhty lifestyle, you also can being incorporating more active habits into your normal daily routine. Starting today, try incorporating as many of the following approaches (suggested by ACS) as possible to support an active and healthy lifestyle.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walk or bike to your destination
- Be active at lunch with your coworkers, family or friends
- Take a 20 minute activity break at work to stretch or take a quick walk
- Walk to visit coworkers instead of sending an email
- Go dancing with your friends or spouse
- Plan active vacations rather than driving trips
- Wear a pedometer every day to increase your number of daily steps
- Join a sports or recreation team
- Use a stationary bike or treadmill while watching your favorite TV show
- Plan your activity routine to slowly increase the days per week and minutes per session
Breast cancer is a deadly disease that continues to take the lives of too many mothers, sisters, wives, grandmothers, friends and even men in our lives every year. Our local Fitness Together studio is dedicated to helping you incorporate healthy habits into your daily routine to support an active and fit lifestyle that can help to reduce the risk of this life-threatening disease. During Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October, our FT studio is hosting PACK the House to honor breast cancer survivors, remember those lost to the disease, and to support the progress we are making together to defeat breast cancer.
We invite everyone in our community to step up our local fight against breast cancer by participating in PACK the House at our FT located at 305-C Pisgah Church Road in Greensboro on Saturday, October 27th from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. Every move we make and every dollar we raise as a community is one step closer to finding a cure. Call or come into the studio for more informating about PACK the House!