Cranberry Orange Macadamia Scones
Dec 13, 2012
Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted macadamia nuts (if using salted, omit sea salt)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (not the stuff from Aunt J!)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Juice from 1 organic orange (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- Zest from 1 organic orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place macadamia nuts in a food processor and pulse until a coarse meal forms.
- Place macadamia meal and remaining dry ingredients in a medium bowl, stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients, except coconut oil, to the macadamia meal mixture and blend with a hand mixer until smooth.
- With mixer on low, slowly pour in the coconut oil. Mix well. Let the batter sit 5 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in chopped cranberries and orange zest.
- Using a 1/2 cup-sized scoop, make 8 even balls of dough and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten each dough ball slightly with the back of a spoon or the palm of your hand.
- Bake 21-24 minutes, or until golden brown and the center of the scone is firm to the touch when pressed lightly.
- Cool on pans for 5 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Recipe courtesy of Paleo Magazine Test Kitchen