Are Snack Attacks Killing Your Progress?
Aug 20, 2013
We all have them…whether it’s two o'clock in the afternoon or twelve at night, that urge to reach for anything salty, sweet, or just plain greasy. We never see them coming and then we wonder where those five (or fifty!) pounds came from. Snacking on the wrong foods throughout the day can wreak havoc on our health and add those extra pounds that we don’t want. It is important to use snacks as fuel that will work for us and not against us.
Clink on this link below to see what the five summer superfoods are right now and start snacking on these instead!
Now that we’ve gone to the grocery store and gathered our five summer superfoods it’s important that we go ahead and start planning for what we will do when those snack attacks happen. Remember, if you “fail to plan, then you plan to fail”. Go ahead and wash those tomatoes, cut the watermelon up, add those sardines to a salad, then place them in containers or in little baggies in the fridge. This way when you start craving something sweet or salty those healthy snacks are ready to go for the week.
It’s also important to change the way we think/act in order to fight those cravings which can be caused by stress, frustration, anxiety etc...
Some helpful tips include:
- Relax with deep breathing or meditation.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day…often hunger is a signal that we are thirsty.
- Brush your teeth and gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash like Listerine.
- Distract yourself…read a book, take a walk, or look up motivational quotes/pictures online or in a magazine to remind you of your goal to stay healthy.
- Make sure you get enough deep, restful sleep every night.
- Start writing in a journal or keep a food diary to see what foods you tend to give into most and then find healthy substitutes.
- Practice positive self-talk. Believe that you can reach your goals and say it out loud.
With all of this in mind, it's time to kick those bad snacking habits to the curb! Getting the right foods in your body will make you feel better and more motivated to keep up the good work!