8 Benefits of H.I.T.T.
Feb 5, 2013
What is H.I.T.T.? H.I.T.T. stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It describes any workout that alternates between intense bursts of activity and fixed periods of less intense activity or even complete rest. Below are 8 benefits of incorporating H.I.T.T. into your workout routine.
- It's efficitient. H.I.T.T. is perfect for busy schedules. If you would like to squeeze in a quick workout during a lunch or whenevr your schedule allows, research has shown that 15 minutes of interval training is just as effective, if not more, than running ont he treadmill for 45 to 60 minutes.
- You burn more fat. Not only do you burn more calories during H.I.T.T. workouts, but the effect of the intense exertion kicks your body's repair cycle into overdrive. That means you burn more fat and calories in the 24 hours after an H.I.T.T. workout than you do after a steady paced run.
- You help your heart. Most people aren't used to pushing themselves into the anaerobic zone (that lovely place where you can't breathe and you feel like your heart is about to jump out of your chest). But in this case, extreme training produces extreme results. Research shows that after doing 8 weeks of H.I.T.T. workouts, subjects could bike twice as long as they could before the study while maintaining the same pace.
- There's no equipment necessary. As intense as H.I.T.T. is, the best news is that it can be free. Running, biking, and rowing all work great for H.I.T.T., but you don't need any equipment to get it done. High knees, fast feet, or any plyometric exercises like explosive jumping work just as well to get your heart rate up fast.
- You spare your muscle. Anyone who has been on a diet knows it's hard not to lost muscle along with fat. While steady-state cardio seems to encourage muscle loss, studies show that both weight training and H.I.T.T. allow dieters to preserve their hard-earned muscle while ensuring most of the weight lost comes from fat stores.
- You boost your metabolism. In addition to increased fat burning and more muscle sparing, H.I.T.T. stimulates production of human growth hormone during the 24 hours after your finish your workout. This is great news since human growth hormone is not only responsible for increased caloric burn but also slows down the aging process, making you younger inside and out.
- You can do it anywhere. H.I.T.T. can be performed anywhere--in your living room, bedroom or office. As long as you go at maximum effort for a short period of time followed by a recovery period and repeat, you can adapt it to whatever time and space constraints you have.
- It's a challenge. H.I.T.T. is by no means easy. You will not be able to read or chat with a friend during this type of training. Because it is so short you will be working hard the whole time. This type of exercise offers seasoned exercisers a quick challenge and new exercisers a quick way to see results. It will be uncomfortable, but you'll get results and you will not be bored!
H.I.T.T. is a great way to change up your cardio routine, especially if you're looking to get results in wieght loss or increased fitness. As always, consult with your doctor before starting any exercise routine if you're new to exercise. If you're ready to get started, but need that necessary push, call us any time--we're ready to help!