January is practically behind us. Many people who made a New Year’s resolution to work out and get fit are still scrambling to find a personal trainer before those heart-shaped boxes of chocolate and peanut butter filled candy eggs become a force to be reckoned with once again.
If that describes you, don’t get discouraged. Here are six great tips for choosing a personal trainer who can help you burn bright (and burn calories) in 2020.
- Get referrals. Ask your friends, your family, and people you meet at fitness and health food shops if they have any recommendations. People who have had a positive experience with a trainer or fitness studio are typically excited to spread the good word. Gather your intel and start making the rounds.
- Examine credentials closely. Proof of accreditation is paramount. Seek out trainers who are associated with renowned, respected organizations, such as The American Council on Exercise (ACE), the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM).
- Discuss specific goals. Preparing for a decathlon? You’d do well to find a personal trainer whose passions lean toward running instead of strength training. That being said, it’s equally important to choose a professional who has a broad range of knowledge, as well as experience in a number of disciplines and can provide a well-rounded overview.
- Talk cost. Hiring a personal trainer is a commitment, and one for which the adage “you get what you paid for,” has never been more appropriate. It’s important to find out the cost of a personal trainer early on in the process, however, to make certain it aligns with your budget – and your goals.
- Choose someone with whom you have rapport. Obviously, this is far easier said than done. However, honesty and openness are essential to making progress with a trainer. Without question, workouts are going to involve intimate discussion of your body and its dimensions. Criticisms regarding form and execution will be levied. A certain degree of comfort and familiarity will be critical when things hit close to home. Speaking of which…
- Find fitness that fits your life. Whether the perfect workout studio is located just a hop, skip, and a jump from your home, or close to your office for a few lunch break lunges, find a studio that synchs with your day. Accessibility is the key to a workout routine that grows, evolves, and ultimately makes a difference in your life.
Fitness Together Ellicott City can help you choose a personal trainer who is right for you. Our studio is located just a short drive from Marriottsville, Columbia, and Catonsville, and we offer one-on-one sessions in fully equipped private suites. Call us today at (410) 750-2228 to learn more.