In recognition of National Diabetes Month this November, Fitness Together has created two blog posts dedicated to helping our clients maintain a healthy lifestyle. The previous post described diabetes and its impact on American lives, as well as one way to prevent the disease, while this blog post focuses on two more prevention techniques: exercise and maintaining a healthy weight.
Exercising Regularly Reduces the Risk of Disease
Not only does eating healthy foods and exercising regularly go hand-in-hand for living a healthy lifestyle, but both techniques also go a long way to help combat the risk of diseases such as diabetes. The American Diabetes Association has compiled a list of benefits to being habitually active:
- Improves Blood Glucose Management: When exercising, your body becomes more sensitive to the insulin that is being made, burning calories and lowering blood glucose levels.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: Being active is a great way to get the heart going, enabling it to pump stronger and slower.
- Improves Blood Fats: Exercise raises good cholesterol while simultaneously lowering bad cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Promotes Weight Loss
- Encourages Healthy Weight Maintenance
- Reduces the Risk of Common Diseases: Such as, heart attack, stroke, bone loss, and certain cancers.
- Increases Energy
- Improves the Quality of Sleep
- Reduces Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
- Builds Stronger Bones and Muscles: Walking, jogging, or running helps to strengthen bones, while lifting weights will strengthen muscles.
Maintaining a Healthy Weight
Contrary to what many people think, there is no magic number when it comes to determining a healthy body weight. The ideal weight is unique to each person and can be determined, with the help of a licensed nutritionist or dietitian, based upon body structure, muscle mass, water retention, and overall health.
The best solution to maintaining a healthy weight is to consult a professional, who can help establish and adjust your weight loss or management goals, aligning them with what’s healthy for your body.
Fitness Together combines strength training, cardio conditioning, and nutritional guidance for a complete health and fitness solution. If you would like more information on preventing diabetes, call Fitness Together Ellicott City today.