The professionals at Fitness Together have always encouraged healthy and fit lifestyles through physical activity and well-balanced meals, but for individuals who are at high risk of or who have life-threatening diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and diabetes, these routines are more than just ways of becoming thin. Eating healthy and staying active can reduce the risk of disease, increase fitness levels, and promote longevity.
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, Fitness Together Ellicott City has collected some tips to help you incorporate healthy habits into your daily routine.
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), adults should:
- establish and maintain a healthy weight;
- make healthy food choices with a focus on plant-based foods; and
- incorporate regular, consistent physical activity into their lifestyles.
The ACS recommends weekly exercise to include 150 minutes of moderate physical activity, such as biking, hiking, or brisk walking, or 75 minutes of vigorous physical activity, such as Fitness Together’s one-on-one or PACK Small Group personal training sessions.
However, adults can also incorporate smaller, more active habits into their daily routines, as well, including:
- walking up stairs instead of using the elevator;
- walking or biking to your destination;
- taking a 20-minute activity break at work to stretch or walk outside;
- walking to visit co-workers instead of sending an e-mail or calling their phone;
- signing up for a dance class;
- planning active, instead of passive, vacations;
- wearing a pedometer to monitor your daily steps;
- joining a sports or recreation team; and
- using a stationary bicycle or treadmill.
Breast cancer affects millions of women and men, including many in Ellicott City and Columbia. We don’t want you to be one of them! So please commit to a healthier lifestyle and take charge of your well-being today. We’re here to help!