In your quest to maintain a healthy mind and body, you may find yourself asking the question: Do I really need a personal trainer?
Maybe you just want to be fit enough to enjoy a brisk stroll around Centennial Lake in Ellicott City or perhaps hike some of Patapsco State Park’s more challenging paths; you definitely don’t have to become a gym rat to do those activities. But just because you aren’t training for the Olympics doesn’t mean you couldn’t benefit from some professional assistance to reach your fitness goals.
Here are eight reasons why you need a personal trainer to energize your exercise routine:
- Individualized planning: There’s no such thing as a one-size-fits-all exercise program, and if you base your fitness routine on something you saw on television or a friend’s suggestion of what worked for them, you might not be optimizing your exercise opportunities. However, a personal trainer can craft a plan to fit your unique needs. For instance, at Fitness Together in Ellicott City, we begin with a F.I.T. Consultation and Assessment to create a customized fitness program that takes into consideration your current condition, your specific health and fitness goals, and any special requests for strong results and safe outcomes.
- Goal-setting: Setting unrealistic goals is one of the top five common fitness mistakes that people make. Whether your aim is to complete a marathon or simply scale a flight of stairs without getting winded, a personal trainer can work with you to determine the steps necessary to realize your highest potential.
- Accountability: Many times, it’s easy to talk yourself out of going to the gym or talk yourself into eating that second piece of cake at your coworker’s birthday lunch. A personal trainer can help you overcome these urges by acting as a source of accountability. That doesn’t mean that you can’t slip up now and again—we’re all human—but your trainer is there to remind you of the importance of the commitment you made.
- Encouragement: Everyone needs a little motivation now and then. Working with a personal trainer means you’ll always have an ally to offer encouragement and support as you strive to achieve your fitness goals.
- A diverse routine: The “routine” part of an exercise routine can sometimes work against you if you become bored by your workouts. When your trip to the gym begins to become yawn-inducing, a personal trainer can help make fitness fun again by coming up with fresh activities to challenge you and reignite your excitement for exercise.
- Time management: We often seek ways to avoid wasting time at work or at home, but the gym is another place that can surreptitiously suck your time away, if you’re not careful. In an unstructured exercise atmosphere it’s easy to take too much rest in between weight sets or wander aimlessly from machine to machine, but a personal trainer can keep you on track and help you maximize your workout time.
- Nutrition counseling: Diet and exercise go hand-in-hand, and an important component of personal training is guiding you towards a diet that will keep you healthy and energized. In fact, nutrition counseling is part of the personal training package at Fitness Together in Ellicott City. Our members also have access to Nutrition Together, an online portal with healthy recipes, weekly tips and an online accountability journal that automatically tracks your weight loss progress.
- A safe environment: Heavy weights, machines with many moving parts, hardwood floors—the gym can be a dangerous place, especially for a newcomer. Personal trainers know the procedures that need to be followed so that you don’t get hurt while trying to get fit, and thus they can provide you with a safe environment in which to explore your physical and mental limits.
Now that you know why you need a personal trainer, are you ready to see how personal training could help you achieve your unique health goals? For more information about personal fitness training, call Fitness Together Ellicott City today at (410) 750-2228.