5 Workout Hacks for Harried Moms
May 8, 2019
What are you hoping for this Mother’s Day? Some flowers? A nice dinner? Perhaps a clean house? Or a clean getaway?
How about just a few minutes of time to yourself? To read. To relax. Or even to exercise.
We often hear busy moms say that exercise occasionally has to be sacrificed in the interest of family obligations.
We understand – and respect – that call to duty. But we don’t necessarily agree with the underlying notion. And that’s because there are always opportunities tucked away in those little pockets of life – however small – to exercise.
So, our gift to you this Mother’s Day is this list of five workout hacks for beleaguered, harried moms who think they don’t have enough time:
- Park and walk – Whether it’s your morning coffee run, a school drop-off, or a routine trip to the grocery store, try parking your car far – but not dangerously so – from your destination and burn some calories with a nice, brisk walk.
- Weights-schmeights – You don’t necessarily need store-bought weights to ensure you get your reps in. When “official” strength training time is out of the question, you can swap in household items like bottles of milk or cans of soda. (Did we say soda? We meant string beans).
- Become a toy soldier – Picking up the toys your kids have haphazardly scattered around the house? We’ve been there. Use this monotonous chore as an opportunity to do some beneficial squats and start to build muscle not only in your quadriceps, but throughout your entire body.
- Take the stairs – Like, always. Avoid the elevator and escalators at all costs. For some added oomph, try jogging up the first two flights for some heart-healthy cardio.
- Partner with a gym that takes your scheduling conflicts seriously – At Fitness Together Ellicott City, there are no “typical” clients. Our certified personal trainers customize programs to each individual’s unique goals, budget, and time commitment. While four sessions per week tend to offer the best results, some of our clients train twice a week – and that’s more than fine. We understand what it takes to be a working mother, and we will collaborate with you to create a workout regimen that fits with your busy life.
The most important thing to do is simply get started. The above workout hacks are a good launching point, and Fitness Together can help you build on those exponentially. You can’t make progress if you never take that first step toward a healthier lifestyle. Both you and your children deserve it.
Give us a call at 410-750-2228 to learn more. And have a Happy Mother’s Day!