Enthusiasm is an amazing force. The initiative to start improving one’s life is a HUGE component of a successful journey to physical fitness.
Injury, on the other hand, is a surefire way to derail that journey before it truly begins. And all too often, it is an unfortunate byproduct of being overly enthusiastic, and not looking before one leaps.
Lifting weights, doing crunches, even the act of walking – all can be potential gateways to torn ligaments, pulled muscles, blown out joints, and much more. And contrary to popular belief, injury is non-discriminatory, targeting individuals regardless of their expertise or body type.
For those just getting started, a sports personal trainer can prove to be an invaluable resource for countless reasons, high among them being the prevention of personal injury.
Here are just five ways that a sports personal trainer can help to keep you in training, not in traction.
- Being present. It is the job of your sports personal trainer to share their knowledge of exercise, and its fundamentals, while offering physical guidance based on your medical background and personal goals. With each workout, your trainer can and should instruct on proper form, body alignment, and technique, and will never allow you to push yourself too far.
- Leading warmup. One of the most important aspects of exercise, and the primary defense against bodily injury is stretching prior to a workout. Your personal trainer can help you get the blood flowing to your muscles and loosen your joints in preparation for the vigorous activity ahead.
- Mixing it up. Your sports personal trainer may suggest partaking in cross-training, alternating between cardiovascular exercise, weight lifting, and more. By switching between various activities, you will give your various muscle groups a much needed break, while bolstering your metabolism and eliminating boredom at the same time.
- Nutritional guidance: The proper diet in conjunction with a professionally coordinated workout will yield greater fitness successes, faster. A certified trainer can collaborate with you to create a personalized roadmap to a new, healthier lifestyle, while helping you alter the way you think about food and what it does for your body. Carbs will give you the energy to exercise while protein will help your muscles recharge afterwards. A trainer will also make you continuously aware of the critical need to remain hydrated at all times.
- Striking a balance with core work: A sports personal trainer understands that a strong core leads to improved endurance, and that the spinal column and the muscles of the trunk, pelvis, hips, and abdomen are involved in virtually every exercise you do. These muscles are essential in providing support for your lower back and to prevent injury, and your trainer can develop specific exercises targeting this region.
At Fitness Together Ellicott City, our trainers make certain that every exercise is done properly to avoid injury and maximize impact. Additionally, our studio is conveniently located in Howard County, just a short drive from Marriottsville and Columbia, making the commute painless, as well. Call us today at (410)-750-2228.