Karen Ansel, M.S., R.D in Eating Well Magazine's June edition writes an article suggesting simple Rules to eat well. Here is a list of the 6 outlined:
1. STOP eating too much! Sounds simple, right? Take notice this week of how much food you eat. How may calories are there in your meal?
2. Go for more fruits and vegetables. A great guideline would be to fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. The more brightly colored produce is generally more nutrient-rich.
3. STOP eating junk! Candy, cookies, chips, butter, alcohol...
4. Make way for leaner meats, poultry, and vegetable proteins. Pick proteins that are low in solid fats such as fish, lean chicken, leans steak, and beans, peas, and nuts.
5. Go for more whole grains. Whole grains are brown rice, oats, and most 100 percent whole grain items like cereal. (just watch out for added sugar in the cereals.
6. Go Fish! 8 or more ounces per week generally boiled down to 4 ounces 2 x per week is a great guideline to follow.