Recipe Corner: Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto
Jun 18, 2010
Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto
This recipe serves: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
about 3 cups Basic Chicken Stock (see recipe), or low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/3 cup diced onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup rehydrated, chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Heat the stock in a saucepan and keep hot over low heat.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a separate medium-sized pot. Add the onion and cook until it turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the rice to the onion mixture, stir and turn the heat to low. Add about 1 cup of the hot stock to the rice mixture, and stir slowly until the stock is absorbed.
- Continue to add the stock 1 cup at a time, stirring slowly, letting the rice absorb the stock before adding more.
- The risotto is cooked when it is creamy on the outside and slightly firm (al dente) in the center, about 20 to 25 minutes in all. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the risotto is too thick, add a little more stock until it becomes creamy.
- Divide the risotto into serving dishes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
NOTE: To rehydrate the tomatoes, place in a bowl and cover with warm water. Leave the tomatoes in the water until they have plumped up, about 20 minutes. Strain the tomatoes and save the water to add to the risotto with the chicken stock for added flavor.