3 Ways to Work Out Without Disruption During Vacation
May 13, 2022
Vacations are a lot of work, aren’t they? If you’re a parent, the packing, prepping, carrying, covering, lathering, and lugging coolers and beach chairs and buckets and toys to and from the beach is almost a full-time job in and of itself. Even if you’re not on an excursion with the kids, the mere juggling of schedules, booking dinner reservations and making sure you hit every item on your itinerary can be exhausting. Adding a workout to what should be your reprieve from the world may seem like the last thing you want to do. But A) you really want to, and B) it’s so important that you really want to. Interrupting all of the progress you’ve made thus far would require a redoubling (if not more) of your efforts once you get back home. Instead, find a way to work out without disruption during your time away, and still enjoy every bit of the vacation that you so richly deserve. Here are three tips to do just that:
- Manage your expectations. You are on vacation, after all. Even with the best of intentions to keep your workout as close to the norm as possible, the sand the sunsets, and the cocktails have a way of swaying us otherwise. Make your peace with the break in your regularly scheduled programming and shoot for somewhere between 40-50 percent of your regular regimen. Something is better than nothing in this case.
- Work with your schedule, not against it: Think of exercise as simply another way to try new things in a new location. Sure, you’re not going to use the elliptical at the personal training studio every day, but leisurely walks on the beach, sightseeing in the neighboring community, or a visit to the local aquarium or museum, can help you tally some critical steps, while daily dips in the hotel pool can provide the resistance training you crave and all sorts of other health benefits, while you still have fun with the family.
- Adapt. Your personal training studio may not be available during your adventure, but there are some things you can do to replicate certain aspects. Consider these workout hacks that can help you work out without disruption during your vacation:
- Pack a resistance band and a jump rope into your suitcase or carry-on. The former is phenomenal for strength training your upper and lower body. The latter will give you a good dose of cardio whenever you need it.
- Speaking of suitcases – diversify. Pack two smaller suitcases this trip, balancing the weight of each when carrying one in each hand through the airport, bus terminal, or simply to the car. It’s a great exercise for your torso.
- Walk and walk some more. Vacations are great opportunities to just get out and rack up some steps. Ten thousand per day is a good goal, and you’ll see how attainable this goal is once you start taking in the sights by foot each day.
There’s no doubt: the Fitness Together Ellicott City team will miss you while you’re away, but you’ve worked hard – and you deserve this summer respite. We’ll keep the private studio nice and cool for you until you get back and pick up right where we left off. In the meantime, call us at 410-750-2228 with any questions.