No doubt about it, apples are a truly a miracle health food, especially for the heart. Apples contain a wealth of cholesterol-fighting compounds, most notably pectin, but also many antioxidants and dietary fiber. In addition to lowering cholesterol, they have been shown to reduce the risk of lung and prostate cancer, as well as these health benefits:
- The pectin fiber in apples helps diabetics maintain a steady blood sugar level.
- Apples are an excellent addition to any weight-loss plan. Low calorie and nutrient dense, they are a filling and portable sweet treat, ideal for curbing hunger pains.
- Apples are healthful for maintaining lung function and have even been shown to ameliorate asthma symptoms.
- Called “nature’s toothbrush,” apples work the gums and clean the teeth.
- The tannins in apples help to ward off urinary tract infections.