Who knew? Mushrooms are ridiculously low in calories and high in fiber but their true claim to fame is that they and are simply packed with superbly healthy hard-to-find minerals such as:
- Magnesium—mushrooms are a great source of magnesium, a mineral essential to good health, muscle and nerve function as well as maintaining a normal blood pressure.
- Potassium—this important mineral helps to control blood pressure. Mushrooms contain more potassium than most other fruit and vegetables: one medium Portabello mushroom contains more potassium than a banana!
- Calcium—this mineral is the most abundant in the body and is important for bones as well as powering muscle contraction.
- Iron—this mineral is essential to life and many of the metabolic processes that occur in our bodies. Iron is especially important for oxygen transport.
- Zinc—mushrooms are a good source of zinc, the mineral that supports a healthy immune system
- Selenium—mushrooms are high in selenium, the antioxidant mineral that protects our cells against free radical damage.