Fall has officially arrived and so has cooler weather, fall sports and busier days. To keep yourself feeling centered, calm and confident with your health and weight goals, being prepared has never been more important. Having an abundance of foods prepped for a quick meal or snack can be the difference between having lots of energy and supporting your goals or “bonking” and making a bad decision you’ll surely regret.
Learn More and Schedule a Complimentary 30 Minute Nutrition Consultation by CLICKING HERE
Balanced habits are important to establish. When you identify unbalanced habits you’re ready to right, be sure to create the balanced habit to replace it. Just saying “I’m going to start drinking more water” is not really a commitment to getting balanced. Instead, say; “I’m going to only have coffee in the AM hours and enjoy water for all the PM hours.”
Unbalanced habit à balanced habit replacement = healthy new, balanced habit
Focus on things you can do to prepare your kitchen, such as:
1. Clean your oven before the holidays hit
2. Pull together some new recipes you want to try during the holidays
3. Google: “Kitchen Hacks” to learn some new tricks
4. Toss spices you haven’t used in 6-12 months
5. Toss oils and vinegars you haven’t used in 3-6 months
6. Make a list on your phone of all unused cans, bottles & jars you have in your pantry
As you close out 2018, take a few minutes to write down goals you set for yourself for the year. Put a star beside the ones you surpassed. Pick out three of those you did not, and decide what you can do in these last three months of the year to reach them. PLEASE use language with yourself that is positive and empowering. Count your wins instead of focusing on the targets you didn’t hit. One goal per each of the final months in 2018. Focus on only one at a time so it can take hold. You’ve got this!!
Here is a fun bonus recipe to try out this month:
Aquafaba Meringue “Pumpkin” Cookies
(aqua = water/faba = bean)
Yields: 30-40 Pumpkins
15 oz. can Garbanzo (Chickpea) Beans
1/3 cup Splenda Sugar Blend or
2/3 cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Almond Extract
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Orange Food Coloring
Little Tube Green Icing
-To make the “stem/leaf”
Directions: Pre heat oven to 250°F.
Step 1: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (don’t spray with oil or use foil).
Step 2: Drain canned Garbanzo beans; reserving all the aquafaba. You should have about 3/4 cup of liquid. Pour Aquafaba into a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed with a whisk attachment until stiff peaks form; as little as 5 min., as much as 15 minutes. Once the stiff peaks have been accomplished, add sugar 1 heaping
Tbsp. at a time, and whisk until the mixture is glossy. Finally, add the food coloring and extracts.
Step 3: Using a gallon Ziploc bag, fill with the foamy mixture, ziploc the bag then cut a small “tip” in one corner of the bag. Use this as your “pastry tube” to create your pumpkins. Bake for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, or until the meringues are dry and firm to the touch. Let ghosts cool before decorating and serving. Pumpkins will keep for 2 – 3 days in an airtight container.
New Balanced Habits to Work on in 2018
1. Drink more water.
2. Eat breakfast every day.
3. Practice saying don’t instead of can’t when refusing a treat.
4. Try one new vegetable each week.
5. Mail 1 person each Wed. a thank you for touching your life in some way.
6. Enjoy one vegetarian meal per week for dinner.
7. Break a sweat every day of the week.
8. Focus on how you FEEL, not how you look.
9. Only use the scale once a week vs. every day.
10. Count your wins at the end of the every day.