Exercises to do with a stability ball
Oct 26, 2015
A stability ball is a simple and affordable piece of exercise equipment. There are numerous exercises for all muscle groups that can be performed using a stability ball, which makes it the ideal tool for those who workout at home.
For lower body
1. Hamstring curls – lay on your back on the floor with your heels on top of the ball. Press down with your heels and lift your hips off the ground (this is starting position). Curl your heels in toward your glutes and then back to starting position. Repeat 12-15 times.
2. Stability Ball Squats – place the ball between the wall and your lower back. Lean against the ball as you perform a squat. Repeat 12-15 times, add weight if needed.
For upper body
1. Stability Ball Pushups – This is done just like a regular pushup only your feet are on the ball instead of on the floor. This adds more of a challenge for your arms and core.
2. Supermans/Back Extension – kneel on the floor and “hug” the ball. Lean back (extend the back) as far as is comfortable; keeping your arms out, then back to “hugging” position. Repeat 12-15 times.
1. Crunches – Lay so that the ball is on the small of your back. Hold your hands behind your head to support your neck then use your abs to crunch up toward the ceiling. Repeat 12-15 times.
2. Plank – the plank can be done one of two ways. First, place your forearms on the ball with your feet on the floor, body/back in a neutral position. Hold as long as you can. Second, place your hands on the floor with your legs on the ball (similar to the pushup position) and hold as long as you can. Both of these will challenge the core.
For a total body workout, try these exercises next time you’re working out at home with your stability ball.