If you've got some time to spare, this article is a MUST read! It outlines the specifics and details that go into maintaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously (something many of us have been striving to achieve). This is EVERYTHING your trainers are trying to teach you; summed up in ONE place for you to read.
There are 5 major keys to follow when trying to do so:
In order to lose body fat, while retaining lean muscle mass, be sure to adhere to these 5 basic principles...
- Keep training intensity high. When training for fat loss, there's no need to drastically alter your weight training program. Your first priority is to maintain your strength in the gym.
- Eat in a moderate calorie deficit. 500 calories per day will put you on track to lose 1 lb per week.
- Get enough protein 1-1.3 grams of protein per lb of LBM is a good starting point.
- Maintain a balance of carbohydrates and fats in your diet. Super low fat or low carb rarely makes sense, and you will get much better results with a balance of all macronutrients present.
- Avoid excessive amounts of cardio. Use your diet and resistance training as the primary stimulus for achieving the necessary energy deficit.
Read more below-- it's worth the time spent.