Dr. Janet's Easy Gazpacho
Jul 28, 2014
Makes ~ 6 cups or 6 servings.
- 1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatillos, drained
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 12 cups packed romaine or other dark green lettuce leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 mild white onion, like Bermuda or Vidalia, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. canned diced green chilies
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 slices whole wheat toast (crusts removed), cubed
- Salt to taste, if desired
- Hot sauce to taste, if desired
- 1/4 cup finely minced chives, for garnish
1. Place first 10 ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add oil, lime juice, cumin, sugar and bread. Blend until smooth. Let mixture stand 2 minutes to allow bread to absorb liquid. Puree again until smooth. Season to taste with salt, hot sauce and more chilies and lime juice, if desired.
2. Transfer to bowl or pitcher and chill until very cold.
3. Before serving, check seasoning and add more, as desired. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.
Food weight: 1.0
Protein: 4 g
Sodium: 324 mg
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g