Homemade Almond Crunch Protein Bars
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut/almond butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup almond/rice/soy/hemp milk, unsweetened
- 1 + 1/2 cups vanilla plant based protein powder (I used Vega Sport)*
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp almonds, coarsely chopped
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature for 20 minutes and enjoy.
- Combine coconut oil, peanut butter and milk in a medium bowl. Microwave in 30 seconds intervals until melted, stirring in between. Then whisk to combine well. Add protein powder + almond meal and mix with a spatula until combined. It will take a few minutes. Dough will be crumbly, that's fine.
- Line 8" x 8" baking dish with parchment paper and fill with prepared dough. Flatten with your hands and then level with spatula, pressing dough into the dish all the time.
- Combine chocolate chips and 1 tbsp coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds or until melted, then stir well. Pour over the bars and tilt the dish until all bars are coated evenly with chocolate.
- Toast almonds in a small skillet on low-medium heat until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Stir frequently and watch closely not to burn. Sprinkle on top of chocolate. Freeze for 20 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour. Remove from the dish by holding onto the flaps of parchment paper and place on a cutting board. Cut into 12 bars and enjoy chilled.
*I used Vega protein powder in vanilla, chocolate and berry flavours. As well as Sunwarrior protein powder). I do not recommend using plain pea or hemp protein powder in this recipe. I assume whey protein is an option. You might need to add more milk as whey tends to absorb liquid a lot.*You can skip the topping but nutritional info won't change much.
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving = 1 bar:
Total Fat: 14.9 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 56.3 mg
Total Carbs: 5.8 g
Sugars: 2.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.0 g
Protein: 9.6 g