December Nutrition Topic: Lean Protein
Dec 2, 2017
December Topic: Lean Protein – Your best choice for getting in your daily protein nutrition
- One of the greatest “secret weapons” for weight loss is to eat lean, high protein foods at every meal.
- Protein is the most satiating of the three macronutrients and revs up your metabolic rate.
- Beans are a lean protein source that also contain fiber – another super weight loss tool. Remember, additional fiber will also help you feel fuller longer.
- This is the time of year where skinless white meat turkey breast – another perfect lean protein source – is “in season”.
- Make a conscious effort to include a source of lean protein at every meal and snack. Fat-free (alternative milk) at breakfast, a bean-based soup at lunch, nuts as a snack and turkey at dinner for example.
- To make soups heartier and even more nutritious add rinsed, canned beans.
- Throw some beans in your lunchtime salad to add protein.
- Use leftover fresh carved turkey meat for sandwiches (on whole grain bread or lettuce wraps).
Strategies for Restaurants:
- Order lean protein such as fish or skinless poultry in lieu of red meat.
- Order minestrone soup at Italian restaurants (vegetables and beans…perfect!)
- Add chick peas at the salad bar – a legume!
- Order edemame at the Japanese restaurant, another fabulous antioxidant-packed bean.