Try These 7 Ways to Work Out While Staying at Home
Gyms and fitness studios have shut down as a result of COVID-19.
While it’s the most responsible decision in a time when the nation’s health is at stake, many of those who are quarantined have likely already started going slightly stir-crazy at the prospect of not being able to attend their regular weekly workout.
Chances are you don’t have a professional home gym, or you wouldn’t be reading this blog (unless you’ve already read everything in the house). But that doesn’t mean you have to throw your hands up and resign yourself to binge watching Netflix and shot-gunning Party Mix crumbs.
By now you may have heard about the #Quarantine15 hashtag that’s been trending, and if you haven’t – it’s exactly what it sounds like; the dreaded weight gain brought about by being stuck inside, day after day, with nothing to do but make return trips to the refrigerator.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Instead of stress eating, find a quiet, open corner of your home, and try these 7 phenomenal ways to work out while staying at home:
- Put the pedal to the metal. Cycling is not only great for your arms and legs, but also strengthens the core, the calves, thighs, and much more. One solid session can burn hundreds of calories.
- Resist. Bodyweight training – or resistance training – works out multiple muscle groups simultaneously – unlike weightlifting equipment, which only target certain areas. Good workouts while staying at home include squats, lunges, pullups, and plank workouts.
- Lift (your spirits – and your free weights). Dumbbells can be phenomenal for working your arms, back, and abs. If they’ve been sitting in your basement gathering dust, now’s a great time to dust them off.
- Get a jump on things. Plyometric exercises, like jumping rope, can keep things hopping in your house. Believe it or not, just 10 minutes of jumping rope has been equated to a full half hour of jogging. Mix things up with burnouts of pushups or squats.
- Reach new heights. Climbing stairs can deliver similar heart-beating benefits and is easily accessible in many homes.
- Get into the groove. Dance workouts in the privacy of your own home provide fierce cardio benefits. Feel free to get as funky as you want.
- Go for a walk or a jog. Seriously. Spring has arrived, and the weather is verging on agreeable. Fresh air and sunshine can do wonders for your sanity during times like these, allowing you to relax, refocus, and remember that this too shall pass.
Fitness Together Ellicott City will be here for you when it does. Follow us on social media and continue to check our website for updates.