ADVANTAGES TO HIRING A PERSONAL TRAINER
Jul 13, 2010
Are you motivated to get in shape? Do you want to get toned or bulk up? Are you recovering from an injury but still need to exercise? Do you want to improve your athletic performance? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you have adequate reasoning to hire a personal trainer. While you can certainly accomplish all of these goals on your own, there are some advantages to having a personal trainer that might improve the quality of your fitness regimen.
Personal trainers usually give you:
- A fitness evaluation. This is a series of agility tests, including cardiovascular, flexibility, muscle strength and endurance. The evaluation will help the trainer determine what kind of shape you are in, and how he or she needs to design your workout program. Your trainer should ask about your health history, medications, and experience with exercise.
- A personalized exercise program designed specifically for you. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to fitness training. Each person's needs and goals are different, and a personal trainer will custom design a plan that acknowledges both the shape you're in and the shape you want to be in.
- Supervised exercise. A personal trainer will give you one-on-one, undivided attention to make sure you are sticking to your program, using proper form and technique, and that you are getting the most out of your workout without getting injured. The benefits of your program will be explained to you and your trainer will recognize when you've reached certain milestones.
- Motivation. There's nothing like having a trainer give you words of encouragement throughout your workout. This helps with the mental part of getting in shape--attitude is everything! If you don't think you can do it, then you won't.
- Expertise. Good personal trainers are experts in the field of exercise, nutrition, and motivation. They are there to give you advice that extends beyond your time with them. Listen to what they have to say about dieting and lifestyle modifications--a good personal trainer is a fountain of knowledge!